Common Questions

  • How Do I Enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan?
    To enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan for you school, please visit the homepage. Search for your school, select the plan type and click “Go”. Under the “Get Started” message you will see all open terms for enrollment. Select your term then read and agree to terms. If this is your first-time visiting, please create an account. Otherwise, login as a Returning Student. Next complete your details page then submit your payment information. Once you complete the enrollment, it can take 2-3 weeks to receive an ID card. If you do not see your school on the list in the search box on the homepage, please contact your school for enrollment inquires.
  • Can I enroll my spouse/domestic partner and/or children?
    If your school’s plan offers dependent coverage, covered students may also enroll their lawful spouse, legally registered domestic partner (same and opposite sex), and any dependent children under age of 26. Insurance may be purchased for dependents as long as it is for the same term of coverage as the student. During the open enrollment period, you may add your dependents onto the student health insurance plan. You may also add a dependent outside of the enrollment period if there is a qualifying event (marriage, birth, divorce, or loss of a job). All qualifying event enrollments must be completed within 30 days of the qualifying event. If your school plan does not offer dependent coverage, you may seek out an individual health plan for them.
  • Can I enroll after the open enrollment deadline?
    Enrollments are not accepted after enrollment deadlines unless you experience a qualifying event within the last 30 days. Examples of qualifying events are; loss of other health insurance, marriage, birth, or divorce. If you think you meet these qualifications, please contact us.
  • What is the cost of coverage?
    To find the cost or premium of coverage please see you school plan brochure. Please note: cost/premium of coverage is not prorated under any circumstance.
  • Can I receive a refund?
    Refunds are only issued for specific circumstances, such as withdrawal from school within the allotted timeframe or entry into the armed forces. An authorized school representative must approve all student refunds. Please see your school brochure for more details.
  • How do I get an ID card?
    Insurance ID cards are generated by your insurance carrier after your enrollment is processed, usually within 2-3 weeks of the later- start date of your plan or when you enrolled. Most insurance carriers do not mail physical cards out anymore. You will have the option to log on to the carrier website to view and print your ID card, or access through the insurance carrier app and view/save it to your smart phone. Log into your JCB account to find more information about getting your ID card.
  • How do I use my medical ID card?
    Each time you visit a doctor you should present your medical ID card or provide your medical ID number if you do not have your card yet. The doctor can then submit your bills to the carrier for payment, and any remaining balance not paid by the insurance will be billed to you. If you do not provide your insurance information the doctor will only know to send you the entire bill.
  • How do I find In-network (PPO) doctors and hospitals?
    Each insurance company has a list of doctors and hospitals on their website. If you log into your JCB account, you will find links to your insurance company PPO list. Check the list frequently and ensure that doctors are still accepting your insurance coverage before you have your appointment.
  • Where is my student insurance Plan Benefits Brochure?
    Your school’s Plan Benefits Brochure is always available by logging into your JCB account. Usually you can also locate the Brochure on the insurance carrier’s website under your school’s information.
  • Do I have to file a medical claim or send my bills to the insurance company?
    If you visit an In-Network (PPO) doctor or service provider and you remember to provide your insurance ID number to them, then usually they will submit your bill to the insurance company for you. Some doctors may not bill for you. It is always your responsibility to make sure the insurance company gets your bill. If you do pay out-of-pocket for services, always keep your receipts and contact your insurance company claims department for information on how to submit a bill for reimbursement.
  • What do I do if I see a doctor when I am outside of the U.S?
    When you visit a doctor outside the United States, most doctors will NOT bill U.S. medical insurance for you. Then you would need to pay the provider in full for your treatment and send your bills to the insurance company for reimbursement. Follow the specific rules for your insurance company, which in most cases will require that you get an itemized medical bill in English, proof that you paid the bill in full and submit both along with the insurance company claim form.
  • Are dental/vision benefits included in the student insurance plan?
    Your medical plan includes a vision and dental benefits that covers pediatric essential benefits, for members until the end of the month in which they turn 19. For anyone over age 19, there is usually not dental coverage in your plan. Please check your school brochure for details.
  • How do I get a tax form?
    Tax forms are mailed automatically by the insurance company. If you did not receive your tax form, you should contact the insurance company for a replacement.
  • I received a tax form…what do I do with it?
    The tax form is used when filing your taxes to prove that you had insurance during some portion of the tax year. Tax forms will be sent to everyone who bought insurance, even to individuals who may not file taxes or may not need the form.
  • How do I change my Address?
    To update your address, please log on to your account on Once you log in you will see in the top right-hand corner choose “My Account” then under Account Holder you may “Edit” and update your address. It is important to keep your address up-to-date, so you receive all of your bills, ID cards etc.
  • Can I purchase coverage after I graduate?
    You must be a registered student during the time that you are insured on a student insurance plan. There are exceptions for a limited amount of coverage for students on medical leave and for OPT students. Please see your school brochure for details.
  • What is the difference between PPO and Non-PPO doctors/Providers?
    PPO or Network providers work with your insurance carrier to offer you rates that are often much lower than their regular fees. This helps you save money! Your network provider will provide care and: • Get approval from your insurance carrier prior to you receiving certain services*     • File claims for you Non-PPO or Non-Network Providers On a PPO health plan you can receive services from a doctor/provider outside the network* You can visit any licensed provider. Your out-of-network provider will provide care; however, you may be responsible to: • Get approval from your insurance carrier prior to receiving certain services*           • File your own claims • Pay the difference between the amount paid by your plan and the amount charged by your provider. If you choose an out-of-network provider of service, it will typically costs you more. *Remember: In case of emergency, call 911 or your local emergency hotline, or go directly to an emergency care facility.

Ask Us A Question

Can't find the answer to your question? Use the form below to send us an email and a representative will reach out to you.